Thursday, August 7, 2008

Quick update

My plane pulled into Salt Lake City yesterday afternoon, and as we were taxiing to the gate, I pulled out my cell phone. Just as it found a signal, the phone started to ring, so I answered it. It was Meg, the girl I'd contacted from couchsurfing! "Do you still need a place to stay?" she asked. Yes!!!

Her family is incredibly kind and fun to be around - it's been a wonderful experience! It certainly would have been a different trip had I not connected with them - not nearly as awesome...it makes such a difference when you can spend time (not just superficially interact) with people who are local.
Karen (the mom), Meg & I went hiking today, and saw great views of the Tetons, Wyoming Range, Gros Ventre Range, and the Snake River Range. Tonight, I had tacos made with elk meat, which Chuck (the dad) hunted and dragged home. Katie, Meg's younger sister, is really big into cycling - she's on a mountain bike team here in Jackson and also works for Community Pathways. There's quite a bike trail system - some paved, some intended for mtn bikers (note to cyclists: in Jackson, they WILL ticket cyclists who do not come to a COMPLETE stop - one of the girls had to go to court for a ticket she got while biking). Tomorrow it is my goal to ride one of the family's bikes into town, where I'll trade up for a "real" road bike (hopefully, one with a triple in the front) so that I can ride up to the top of Teton Pass (8431').

So...all is well!

No comments: