78.29 mi 39.0 max 5:36.08 14.0 avg
My favorite part of the day was the smell of the redwood forest, right at the end of the day. We all totally needed this day. The highest elevation was just under 400 feet; the majority was as flat as a pancake. With a touch of tailwind and the fog completely burned off by 11 am, there was nothing more I could have asked for.

My quads complained a lot this morning – it was a slow start. My first partners were Stephanie and Edward. The first K-Mart popped up at mile 13, so I left them, so I could get my new camera. It has almost all the same features as my old one; all I have to do is figure out how to get the pictures from camera to computer now. (AND...because it was the last one and the package had been opened, I got the guy to give me a 10% discount).
Wild Bill also stopped with me, to look for batteries, so we rode together up to Eureka (that was amazing – it was like drafting behind The Boys, except that I hung on for about 10 miles...and we were flying at 18-20 mph). Then, Bill went off on a mission and I hooked up

with Kim, Eric, Amber, and Shannon. When they stopped at a bike shop en route, I elected to continue on by myself. There was lots of freeway today, up until the Avenue of the Giants. I saw a couple of redwoods outside of Seattle; but this is absolutely amazing! There are soooo many HUGE trees. The canopy is so high up; very different from eastern forests. My tent is set up next to the tree in the picture. It actually fit INSIDE the tree, but there wasn't quite enough room to stake it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment