Thursday, October 9, 2008

Day 12: Rest day in Fort Bragg!


Most everything that I had hoped to do involved the computer and internet access. Since I wasn’t too motivated to go into town, most of the things I’d wanted to do didn’t get done. Oh well. I did end up spending some quality time with my cross stitch. I hand washed my laundry – and despite being in the sun for 4 hours, it did not dry.
I also picked a couple of quarts of blackberries for Linda, since I hadn’t really done anything else that was productive.
Nearly everyone has abandoned the tent lifestyle in favor of floors, doors, walls, and ceilings. David, Linda, and Alan are here, as are Wild Bill and myself. I don't know if anyone else is around for the night - people have dropped by, some on bike and others using the one taxi in town. It's been quiet.
Dinner was at a fancy restaurant called the Cliff House. The food was great (don’t tell the raccoons about the food in my tent tonight). On the way out, the original plan was for Alan to ride sweep, since he had a rear flasher, and I was going to ride point since I had a head lamp. Something happened that I didn’t understand and he decided to ride ahead to Marie, who was walking. As I was leaving the parking lot, I misjudged the angle up to the road and fell off my bike because I couldn’t unclip my shoes fast enough. I’m attributing it mostly to wearing glasses instead of my contacts, but it was also dark and I was wearing a skirt, too...there were an unfair number of disadvantages. Anyway, I broke my mirror and bruised my hip and I hate riding in the dark in an area I don’t know. And later on, I got busted for riding without lights.

No comments: