Brent, the event coordinator - that means the guy in the office who has been cheering us on from Seattle, since we signed up for the ride - came out to join us this evening, for some Last Night festivities. I sang The Walk of Shame, which a few riders had heard parts of – and I would like to add that I’d had nothing stronger than Sprite. Charlie did his by-now-famous Mesopotamia dance, and Dr. Chris sang the Ballad of My Lumberjack Love (I think I’ve got the title wrong but it’s the right idea).
The first 30 miles of today’s ride was fairly hilly. After that, though, it was rolling – mostly enough to keep momentum going from one roller to the next. Only two water stops – one at mile 20 and the other in a small town at about mile 42. The cafe had internet access, which was excellent, as I’d packed my computer this day. I sat there for an hour or maybe two, getting things squared away with email, as well as with addresses and directions I'd need following tomorrow's ride. I also made a valiant attempt to get my camera to be read by the computer, to no avail. Uncle Bill came in and had lunch while Alan & I did computer stuff.
Just as I left the post office (mailing my final postcard), Wild Bill whizzed down the hill, not even stopping. I worked like hell to catch up to him, and then I pulled him for a while (which means that I rode in front of him to block some of the wind). We weren’t together for too long – he had to pull off for some food. I was feeling really good, so I continued on into camp. And today was an excellent day to be running late! Apparently, the directions on the DRG led to a camping area that we had not reserved, but the only people who knew where our actual site was were Brent & Linda. Meanwhile, David was doing one of the things that teachers do best: coming up with last second alternative plans. He was ready to order pizzas for us! Fortunately, Linda had been busy at our real campsite, so when we all pulled in, the party was ready to go. I only listened to about 15-20 minutes of people wondering where the truck and the cook were – some people had been there for a really long time, wanting to set up tents, take showers, and do all the other necessary “post-ride chores.” Needless to say, several people were VERY cranky!
For the record, it has been quite warm and sunny these last few days. Absolutely amazing on the weather!
Monday, October 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment