Friday, September 12, 2008

August 15 - Last Day in the Basin





I spent a good portion of this morning feeling very cranky, with no idea why. I wanted to hike, just away from everyone else. Probably the introvert in me screaming for some time away from humans. Maybe tired from last night's late return to camp (but I got this great picture of Battleship Mtn. and the sunset.) With the pro crew gone, and no work to do, we all went out to Hurricane Pass, and saw Schoolroom Glacier. Then, Susie and Paul split off to go back to camp and Michal, Robin, Carter & I bushwhacked over to Avalanche Pass. It was a lot of traversing moraines – also not so much fun, but the views were 150% worth it!
For the first part of the hike, I deliberately took a long time, taking pictures, taking breaks, and not really mingling. It felt good to know that I was last...and also I realized how stressed out I got on Wednesday, knowing that Robin would be right on my heels if I didn’t keep pace. Since I was last, I didn’t have to worry that someone would catch up and pass me.

Things I’m looking forward to: Madison. A shower & clean clothes. Electronics (yeah, my cell phone & email. Never thought I’d say THAT!). Getting ready for the AT. MY bicycle. Kayaking. Going to school....to visit!

No comments: