
“Super Stoked” is a phrase that’s pretty common here in Wyoming. It’s pretty accurate to describe my state of mind, too. Yesterday, we hiked out. Michal drove Susie & me to the Climbers Ranch, which is inside the Grand Teton National Park. We washed up (the best shower EVER) and went to Jenny Lake, just to look around. Then, Michal took me to the airport so I could pick up my car. Off to Driggs again, back over the Pass. The party, put on by TVTAP (Teton Valley Trails and Pathways) was good. I mostly hung out with Tyson & Jeff, talked to Scott for a while, and then with Roy’s brother & sister-in-law. Tyson & Jeff mentioned possibly going to the drive-in after the party, but they had other parties to attend in Jackson and didn’t get back in time, but Roy invited me to the bunkhouse so that I would have a place to stay for the night. There were 6 or 8 people who called it home for the summer; all of them worked for the FS. Some were on trail crew, while a few were also on fire crews. Roy was primarily a trail crew, but he was also hoping to be put on a fire detail before the end of the season.
After our final goodbyes, I went back to Jackson to rent a kayak

...I’m now a big fan of the Jackson Happyfeet set-up! I paddled the Snake River, from West Table to Sheep Gulch. I drove down to Sheep Gulch & managed to hitch a ride back upstream, from Greg & his wife, who were on their way to a music festival. Mocha, their dog, was adorable. She oozed her way onto my lap so that eventually she could put her head back out the window (I had usurped her spot). The couple was originally from WV, and the truth eventually came out about my plan to hike the AT...they did it as a 7 month honey moon in ‘89. As I returned to my boat, I started talking to a recent arrival, another boater who needed to run shuttle. I offered to help with the stipulation that I be permitted to ride the coattails of the group. The Snake was awesome. I would say that it combined aspeted of the Ottawa and the Millers. Best Part: lack of rocks. They’re all on the BOTTOM of the river

(in New England, the rocks are on top of the river). My partners were Joe, Fifer, Mary, and Peter, who was entering 7th or 8th grade. It was really funny – one of my paddling friends from MA (David!) gave me contact info for a Jackson Hole friend-who-shall remain-nameless. The guys that I paddled with were swapping stories, and Dave’s friend’s name came up, in connection with a pretty smarmy exchange that involved the wheeling and dealing of a certain fiberglass boat.
Only one more night of not knowing where I’ll be sleeping. Katie, a friend of Danielle’s (roomie from college!) is putting me up tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment